Friday, January 07, 2005

On TV from Where They Talk Funny

Moving away from my job (Which remains funny in a "Why do people keep dying these extravagant deaths?" type way), I randomly found my way onto the BBC.com website. Upon fumbling around, I found my way onto the Coupling bio page. Coupling, for the blissfully ignorant, exists as a BBC sit-com similar to Friends only without the Ross & Rachel ongoing (and often infuriating) tension, without the progression of Chandler changing from the best character on the show to a whiny little bitch, and with substantially more penis joke. Good times.

Then I read this bit on the BBC.com page, the page for the British Broadcasting Company, which, although a government-run agency equivalent to PBS here though with TV you might actually watch, probably sitll wants you to watch their shows:

Davenport (the attractive barrister Miles in BBC2's sexy legal ensemble drama This Life) made a likeable lead, and Sarah Alexander again proved adept at light comedy, but these were the only highlights in a first series that seemed to sacrifice character depth in favour of bawdy jokes and unlikely sexual situations.

But looks aren't everything, and - initially at least - the overall effect was occasionally so superficial that it was difficult, as the viewer, to give a fig for the characters and their couplings.
There's a bit about the NBC rendition, too, but I'm not allowed to talk disparagingly about the people who sign my checks.

The bio caught my eye cause I wasn't expecting to see "this show sucks" on the bio page from it's broadcasting company (not a network - Britian didn't sell out the airwaves, and for that, I salute them). I found myself wanting to castrate "the viewer" for writing one of the most backwards show bios I've ever seen. Try reading the first paragraph without getting a headache.

Also, figs suck. I'd be more than willing to give figs to anyone about anything, perhaps also telling them to "Lick my Fig" as well.

Back to "work."

No comments: